Understanding SaaS Escrow: A Guide
Written by Jo Rust | Published on April 7, 2023
In the age of digital transformation, businesses are increasingly turning to Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) solutions to streamline their operations, improve efficiency, and reduce costs. With the growing reliance on SaaS applications, it is crucial for organizations to ensure the continuity and security of these services. One effective way to achieve this is through SaaS escrow, a specialized form of software escrow tailored to the unique requirements of SaaS applications. In this article, we will explore the importance of SaaS escrow and provide a step-by-step guide on how to protect your business continuity using this innovative service.
Understanding SaaS Escrow
SaaS escrow is just one of the many software escrow services that Codekeeper offers. SaaS escrow safeguards the source code, data, and other essential components of SaaS applications, ensuring that organizations have continuous access to these vital resources even in the event of a supplier issue. By depositing these assets with a neutral third-party escrow agent, such as Codekeeper, businesses can protect themselves from unforeseen disruptions and maintain the continuity of their operations.
Some examples of the most well-known SaaS applications include Salesforce, Hubspot, Mailchimp, Microsoft 365, Adobe Creative Cloud, Zoom, etc.
How to Protect Your Business Continuity Using SaaS Escrow
- Assess Your Risks: Begin by evaluating your organization's dependency on SaaS applications and identify potential risks, such as supplier bankruptcy, service disruptions, or data loss. This assessment will help you prioritize the applications that require SaaS escrow protection.
- Select a Reputable Escrow Agent: Partner with a trusted and experienced escrow agent, like Codekeeper, to ensure that your SaaS assets are securely stored and managed.
- Define the Escrow Agreement: Collaborate with your SaaS provider and escrow agent to establish a comprehensive escrow agreement. This agreement should outline the conditions under which the escrowed assets will be released, the frequency of deposits and updates, and the responsibilities of each party involved. Once you sign up for an account with Codekeeper we walk you through the steps to set up your escrow agreement to suit your specific needs. No expensive lawyers fees are needed.
- Deposit Source Code and Other Essential Components: Ensure that your SaaS provider deposits the source code, data, and other critical components of the application with Codekeeper. Regular updates should also be deposited to guarantee that your organization has access to the latest version of the application in case of a triggering event.
- Verify the Deposited Assets: It is crucial to verify the deposited assets to ensure that they are complete, functional, and up-to-date. We offer additional verification services that can help you confirm the integrity and functionality of the deposited materials.
- Implement Monitoring and Reporting: Establish a system for monitoring and reporting the status of the escrowed assets. This can include regular audits, status reports, and notifications to keep all parties informed about the condition of the deposited materials and any updates or changes.
- Review and Update the Escrow Agreement: Periodically review and update the escrow agreement to accommodate any changes in your organization's needs or the SaaS application itself. This ensures that your SaaS escrow protection remains effective and relevant as your business evolves.
SaaS escrow plays a critical role in ensuring the continuity and security of your organization's SaaS applications. By implementing a robust SaaS escrow strategy, you can protect your business from the potential risks associated with SaaS dependencies and maintain uninterrupted access to essential services. By following the steps outlined in this guide and partnering with a reputable escrow agent like Codekeeper, you can effectively safeguard your organization's business continuity and foster a resilient, future-proof digital ecosystem.
Book a demo call with one of our experts to explore how we can help protect your business against third-party dependency risks.
Codekeeper : State-of-the-art software escrow solutions